Monday, August 29, 2011

KINDERGARTEN


All five boys in the class. Sam, Trace, Jack, Carson and Mason


His seat


His self portrait that we made.


His place for our feast.



Dates.


BFF's.

Oh boy.... it's here. I have been thinking about this day for about a year now.... I have wrestled with the decision... prayed about it... talked endlessly to people about it... and now it has happened. Jack started kindergarten with his friends today!!! They started kindergarten a week late from regular school because they had to bring in all the kids that first week for testing/assessment. I was kind of in shock all last week thinking that this was coming, but it didn't really sink in until this weekend. I got my MIL to come and stay with Savannah so that I could take Jack out on a date before school started.... we went and did his assessment and then to a movie (Mr. Poppers Penguins) and to lunch. We went and got some school clothes and a treat. It was a fun day to spend with my little buddy. I miss having our one on one time now that I am busier and he is so busy playing with his friends. I think he really enjoyed having a special day all for him. Jason took him out on Saturday to the Utah Fan Fest and they bought him some new shoes for school. They also had a fun day together. On Saturday night, we did a back to school feast. Jack got to choose his favorite meal (breakfast) and we made it and drank out of fancy glasses and he got to eat off of a special plate that I painted for him. I read him the book, You Are Special, and cried while reading it. He looked at me like I was crazy! Jason then gave him a sweet blessing, which he was so excited for. He sat very reverently with a big smile on his face the whole time. Sunday, we did the normal things and he went to bed after laying out his outfit for today. I'm surprised that he didn't have a harder time falling asleep. Jason and I stayed up and watched a movie and went to bed about 1200. For some reason, it really hit me as I was going to bed that this is it... He is going to school and 1st grade is just around the corner. I am so happy that I sent him right now. He loves going to school with all his friends and he really is ready for it, but my gosh.... these last five years have gone so fast!! It makes me sad that they will just go faster and faster. I hope that I am doing a good job in being his mommy. I love him so much. I hope he looks back on this time with joy and happiness and I hope that his childhood has been all it can be, thus far. So today was the big day and I actually held up quite well. He was walking around this morning complaining that his tummy was hurting and that made my tummy hurt to think of him feeling nervous. He said at one point, "I'm not sick, but I feel like I have to throw up." :( He was nervous when we got there, and ended up falling down... (bummer), but once he saw his friends he was happy to be there and very excited. I love his teacher. She seems sweet. And she sent home this poem that made me cry more today... but I think I am officially okay now... maybe....

The First Day

I gave you a wink and a smile
As you entered my room today
For I know how hard it is to leave
And know your child must stay.
You've been with him for five years now
And have been a loving guide,
But now, alas, the time has come
To leave him at my side.
Just know that as you drive away
And tears down your cheeks may flow
I'll love him as I would my own
And help him learn and grow.
So please put your mind at ease
And cry those tears no more
For I will love him and take him in
When you leave him at my door.

I love this boy.

No comments: