Sunday, April 20, 2008

Marathon Weekend!

We survived!! That's right. Our marathon weekend is over. We had a great time. It started on Friday when we had to go down to the Salt Palace to pick up our race packets. I thought it would be fun to take Jack on the train, since he LOVES it and go down there and then end the night with a trip to the Spaghetti Factory for our carbo load. Jack loved the train and also had fun walking around downtown and seeing all of the sights. We went and saw his Grandpa Wiggins and then headed to the Salt Palace to get our packets. This race was so well organized and everything get flowed really well. We got our packets pretty fast, walked aroung the expo that they had and then we headed home on the train. We went to dinner and had some good food and then went home to get Jack ready for his night at Grandma and Grandpa Hunt's house. He had a great time. My dad took him on the tramp to see the moon and stars and then he slept like a rock all night. It was perfect!
Jason and I went home and got our Ipods ready for the big day. We went to sleep early and woke up at 5 to get downtown. The race started at the Legacy Bridge at the U and ended at the Gateway. Everything was pretty seamless and we only had to wait about 20 min for the race to start once we got there. The weather was perfect, except for the wind, and it was a beautiful morning. There were tons of runners, about 13K, and it was just great to see so many people coming out to do such a great thing.
We started off and the first 7 or so miles pasted by pretty quick. I lost Jason at the first so I was alone but for my Ipod. It was about mile 9 that I was pretty happy that I wasn't running the full marathon. I had seen them break off a few miles back and felt pretty bad for all of them. I would still like to do it someday though. Anyway, I hit a few walls, but as I was coming down the last half mile I saw my dad, mom and Jack waving to me from the sidelines. That really helped to push me the rest of the way. The finish was amazing, with tons of people cheering us on!! It felt great to be a part of it. I reached my goal of finishing in 1hr 52 min, and walked through to the end, saw Brad, and then turned around to watch Jason cross the finish. He came in at about 2hr 25min which was about 7 min faster then his last marathon, so a great improvement!!
Unfortunately, we forgot our camera, but we took a few pictures when we got home to remember the occasion. We are sore and tired today, but feel pretty good!! Jason needs new shoes. His foot is bugging him and is walking around like an old man! :) We are happy to have done it and can't wait until the next one!


Jordan & Kimberly said...

You are amazing. Congrats on your awesome time. You're tiny by the way! Lunch Friday?! I am off so I could actually come and meet you :)

Kimberly said...

Congratulations! You look so good and healthy. You are an inspiration to me. I got up and did some exercise today. Thanks.