Tuesday, January 5, 2010

I Hope They Call Me Missionary....


Missionary and future missionary!


David Archuleta watching Jack sing his "Spiderman song"

My littlest bro is now a missionary!! I can't believe that he is old enough to be on his mission. It seems like his life has gone by so fast. It makes me sick to think that Jack's childhood will pass by just as fast, if not faster. Because Jon was scheduled to report to the MTC on December 30, our after Christmas time was bittersweet. It started with his farewell on the 27th. He gave a wonderful talk and had a lot of support from friends and family. I was really impressed with his talk and it gave me peace and I know that he will be alright out there. We had great food and company at the farewell, including David Archuleta! He was a friend of Jon's in high school and he actually showed up. Granted, he came near the end... but due to the reception he was greeted with I can't blame him. It really was crazy to see how everyone just flocked to him the minute he came in the door. I think he was a little annoyed. :) I am happy to say that I kept my star strucked self out of the way so much so that he didn't even know who I was until he was about to leave. :) He was really nice and very gracious. Jon is his BIGGEST fan so I have learned to love him whether I wanted to or not!

The rest of the week was spent mostly at my parent's house hanging out with Jon. He was set apart on Tuesday night. There was a great spirit. Wednesday was the big day. We left around 10am and went and had breakfast at Village Inn. We had to drop him off at 100pm. According to Jason and Andy, the dropoff is much better than it used to be. Only one car is allowed in so Jason and Andy walked in and met us. You pull up to the curb and there is a missionary waiting for you to be your host. It was really hard to send him walking down away from us toward the door to the MTC. Everyone was bawling... noone as much as my mom. That was what was hard for me. Being a mother now, I couldn't stand to watch my mommy send her littlest child away for two years!! I can't even believe how difficult it will be to do that with Jack in 15 short years!! It was really hard.

We have recovered somewhat now that it has been almost a week. We have gotten two letters from Jon. He sounds like he is doing well... not liking his companions, but is being humbled and learning lots. I know he will do great out there!! My favorite part of this whole thing has been how Jack has learned from it. Jon is being such a good example to him and he is old enough that when it is time for him to make this decision, he will remember that his uncle Jon went. He walks around singing.." I hope they call me missionary, missionary, missionary... I hope they call me missionary..." over and over again. He asks about Jon a lot and it gives us a lot of opportunities to really talk to Jack about religious things. We will miss Jon, but know his serving will be a blessing for him and for all of us!

No comments: